2023-2024 School Innovation & Improvement Plan
Outcome goals for this academic school year.
2023-2024 SIIP At-a-Glance
Bush Hill Elementary
Mary Duffy, Principal
ES Reading By 3rd
Ensure students are making sufficient progress to be on grade level in English Language Arts.
By June 2024:
88% of all students in grades 3-6 will pass the Spring 2024 Reading SOL and VAAP tests (increase of 10 percentage points compared to Spring 2023).
76% of all students in grades PreK-3 will meet benchmark as measured by the Spring Reading Screener (LLS/PALS/iReady). The following subgroups will increase their benchmark rates by 10 percentage points as measured by the Spring Reading Screener (LLS/PALS/iReady): (Special Education: 41%; English Learner: 61%; Economically Disadvantaged 61%; Asian 73%; Black: 73%; Hispanic: 73%; White 78%).
- Improve daily, systematic, explicit instruction in phonological awareness, phonics, and morphology in the core language arts block. (HLP 2)
- Expand use of skills-based grouping to ensure students demonstrate mastery of foundational skills. (HLP 2, 5)
- Increase use of data (e.g., iReady, CORE, PASS, PRF, WIDA) to plan instruction and monitor progress for students demonstrating risk. (HLP 2-5)
Ensure students are making sufficient progress to be on grade level in Mathematics.
By June 2024:
- 87% of all students in grades 3-6 will pass the Spring 2024 Math SOL and VAAP tests (increase of 10 percentage points compared to Spring, 2023).
- The following subgroups will increase their pass rates by 10 percentage points on the 2024 Math SOL and VAAP tests (Special Education: 66%; Economically Disadvantaged 72%; Asian 87%; Black: 79%; Hispanic: 80%; White 93%). The English Learner subgroup will increase their pass rate by 15 percentage points on the 2024 Math SOL and VAAP tests (50%).
- Improve teachers’ implementation of Framework for Engaging & Student-Centered Mathematics Instruction.
- Use conversation structures to increase academic talk between students.
- Increase teachers’ implementation strategies related to Shift 8: from looking for correct answers towards revealing student thinking.
FCPS Strategic Plan Goal 2: Safe, Supported, Included and Empowered
Ensure students feel safe, supported, included, and empowered in the school environment.
By June 2024:
- Bush Hill Elementary's recidivism rate will decrease by 10% based on the 43% rate from the 2022-2023 school year.
- Establish a positive and affirming schoolwide and classroom culture conducive to student engagement.
- Utilize an MTSS framework to establish and organize a schoolwide continuum of proactive behavior and wellness supports.
- Ensure all adults have the professional knowledge and capacity to value diversity, promote inclusion, and utilize culturally responsive practices.